Friday, January 21, 2011

Dianthus

Dianthus, graphite
Dianthus, 2011
Graphite on paper
6 x 4 5/8 inches

© 2011 Susan M. Lohse.  All rights reserved.

My drawings begin with studying my reference.  However, as the piece progresses, my reference almost becomes secondary as I gradually transition to being more concerned about how the artwork reads.  I make adjustments that might not be there in reality, although the reference remains the basis for how to achieve what I want to convey.

A good resource about this and other creative concepts is Passport & Palette, a PBS series that features plein air painting.  It’s more a wide-ranging discourse on the creative process than it is the usual how-to, although it includes some of that, as well.  If you haven’t seen the series, I recommend checking it out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...