Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Two Alliums

Two Alliums, graphite
Two Alliums, 2010
Graphite on paper
4 3/4 x 6 inches

© 2010 Susan M. Lohse.  All rights reserved.

This was an exercise in using different techniques than I normally use to depict a very detailed subject more impressionistically.

First, I toned the paper to a mid-value with a graphite stick and blending stump, then carved out the main shapes with a kneaded eraser.  From there I mostly used 6B and ebony pencils to render darker values and the kneaded eraser to pick out highlights.  The stump was again used here and there to soften certain areas and value transitions.

Exploring what are, for me, atypical techniques allows me to execute a look and feel that is completely different from my usual work.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...